Stavanger Cathedral is the only Norwegian cathedral from the Middle Ages that has kept its original appearance and been in continuous use.
According to tradition the cathedral was built in the year 1125, after Sigurd Jorsalfarer named Stavanger a cathedral city. Bishop Reinald of Winchester was responsible for its construction. The church was built in Anglo-Norman style, probably by English craftsmen. The church patron saint is St. Svithun, and it is reputed that his arm was one of the original relics of the church.
In 1272 the cathedral was damaged by fire, after which it received a new chancel built in the Gothic style.